Friday, February 24, 2017

First February Menu

I realize that posting this late in the month makes it look like I've been slacking on the cooking front. Not true! I've just been slacking on the blogging front. The first menu that I made for February was Bettina's Valentine's meal for her and Bob (Chapter CXI). It contains:

Broiled Steak
Baked Potatoes
Macaroni with Tomatoes and Green Peppers
Bread & Butter
Cornstarch Fruit Pudding
Cherry Sauce


The steak tasted delicious, as steak so often does. The baked potato similarly.


But the macaroni dish! There was definitely some confusion in my mind regarding this one. Firstly, it calls for 1/3 c macaroni. Just think about how much pasta that is. It's like nothing. The directions call for layering the food stuffs, and there is no way that one could make layers out of such a small amount of pasta. So I used about a cup of macaroni. I suppose it's possible that this is more of a custard that has pasta in it, but I figured I wanted to eat pasta (even though it was odd having it in addition to a baked potato AND bread and butter).


The cornstarch fruit pudding also gave me trouble. It didn't thicken. At least, not well. I wound up freezing it to get a better consistency, which worked fine. However, then we had the actual flavor to deal with. It tasted like cornstarch mixed with fruit juice, which coincidentally is exactly what it was. C- in flavor, IMO. And the cherry sauce should have cooked for a lot longer than they recommended. Note: I used actual cherry juice rather than the syrup that came with canned cherries and perhaps therein lies some of my problems?


Posting this makes me crave that steak and potato deliciousness, even though I just ate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment